When it comes to achieving the perfect smile, Invisalign clear aligners have exploded in popularity as an inconspicuous alternative to metal braces and even clear braces.
However, are the near-invisible trays worth the investment? The answer greatly depends on your specific orthodontic needs and expectations.
As an innovative approach to tooth alignment using smooth, transparent plastic trays, Invisalign offers notable advantages over conventional braces in aesthetics, lifestyle, comfort, and versatility.
Before you book your consultation, here’s what you should know about the pros, cons, costs, and alternatives to Invisalign to decide if Invisalign clear aligners are worth it for you or your child.
Benefits of Invisalign
What are the benefits of Invisalign? Unlike metal braces, Invisalign aligners are practically invisible (hence the name). The clear plastic molds over your teeth and gradually shifts them into place over months of wear.
Since nothing is glued to your teeth, you can pop those aligners out to eat, brush, and floss. This makes mealtimes and oral hygiene much easier during treatment. The removable design also means you can briefly ditch Invisalign for a special event or photo op to flash your (in-progress) smile.
Another advantage over braces is comfort. Invisalign won’t leave you with scraped cheeks or razor-sharp wires poking into your gums. The molded plastic is smooth, so it spares you much of the irritation.
And without metal brackets cemented on, there’s no white scarring left behind on your teeth. The aligners are in and out and have no visible impact once you finish treatment.
Drawbacks of Invisalign
For all its perks, Invisalign has some downsides to consider. That freedom to remove aligners allows some people to slack on wear time. But failing to wear them 20-22 hours a day means it takes longer for your teeth to shift into place.
Since aligners aren’t glued in like braces, you have to be vigilant about keeping them in place. Any gaps leave room for your teeth to shift back and undo progress.
Invisalign has challenges with some tooth movements that are easy to correct with braces. Issues like bite alignment or severe crowding or spacing may benefit from traditional braces (or at least braces with a few Invisalign stages) for the best results.
Additionally, the aligners aren’t always 100% invisible. Yes, the trays themselves are clear. However, some attachments that grip certain teeth may be visible. Temporary compliance indicators designed to keep your aligners in place also can be seen. So, Invisalign still has external elements to contend with.
Invisalign: Is It Worth It?
Is getting Invisalign worth it? One study reports that 70% of Invisalign patients achieve successful results on their first round of clear aligners. The other 30% of patients need refinement with additional aligners.
Often, those who do not achieve the best results from Invisalign are due to failing to wear the aligners as instructed, or it could be due to tooth position. To ensure you have the best results with Invisalign, talk with your orthodontist before investing in Invisalign so you know you are a good candidate for the aligners.
The best results come from full compliance with wear time and using sufficient aligner trays to address issues.
Is Invisalign Better Than Braces?
Invisalign can yield faster results, averaging 12 to 18 months of treatment, compared to braces at 12 to 24 months. But when used together in some instances, treatment time drops considerably.
As for results, a 2014 study compared Invisalign’s memory aligners to braces. The aligners had the same effectiveness as braces for crowding and spacing. However, they showed less precision for marginal ridge alignment, occlusal contacts, and root angulation—meaning braces may work better at setting bites and positioning back teeth correctly.
Average Cost of Invisalign
Braces and Invisalign are fairly similar in terms of cost. Treatment with clear aligners can range from about $3,000 to $7,000. Remember, these costs can fluctuate depending on your specific needs and insurance coverage.
Your exact rates depend on how long treatment runs, what payment options you qualify for, and whether you choose premium features like SmartTrack material for faster teeth shifting.
At Bergen Orthodontics, we offer free Invisalign consultations so you can ask questions without pressure. We also accept insurance and offer monthly payment plans, which makes this route more financially feasible for many of our patients.
Is Invisalign worth it? At the end of the day, only you can decide if Invisalign is a smart investment. The aligners offer an inconspicuous, comfortable way to realign your smile for the right candidate. As with braces, you’ll need to commit to diligent use and extended treatment for the best outcome.
Book a consultation with Bergen Orthodontics to see if those clear aligners could be in your smile’s future. Learn more about Invisalign!