If you have an overbite, you may be wondering if Invisalign can help fix the issue. An overbite of the front teeth occurs when your top teeth overlap your bottom teeth, causing problems with bite alignment and appearance. Many people believe that braces are the only solution to fix an overbite, but Invisalign offers an alternative solution that can be just as effective. So, does Invisalign work for an overbite?
Here's everything you need to know about Invisalign and overbites.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a type of clear aligner that's designed to straighten teeth without the need for traditional braces. Invisalign works by using a series of clear, removable aligners that are custom-made to fit your teeth. Each aligner is slightly different and is worn for two weeks before being replaced by the next one in the series.
Invisalign is a popular choice for people who want to straighten their teeth discreetly, as the clear aligners are virtually invisible and can be removed for eating, drinking, and brushing.
Can Invisalign fix an overbite?
Yes, Invisalign can fix an overbite. In fact, Invisalign is an effective treatment for many types of bite alignment issues, including overbites, underbites, crossbites, and open bites. Invisalign can also correct crooked or crowded teeth.
To fix an overbite with Invisalign, your orthodontist will create a treatment plan that's tailored to your specific needs. The treatment plan will involve a series of clear aligners that gradually move your teeth into the correct position. Over time, the aligners will shift your teeth and jawline, helping to correct the overbite.
How long does Invisalign treatment take to fix an overbite?
The length of Invisalign treatment for an overbite will vary depending on the severity of the overbite and the specific treatment plan. In general, Invisalign treatment for an overbite can take anywhere from 12 to 18 months.
It's important to note that Invisalign treatment requires commitment and consistency. To achieve the best results, it's crucial to wear the aligners for at least 22 hours a day and to switch to the next aligner in the series every two weeks as directed by your orthodontist.
What are the benefits of using Invisalign to fix an overbite?
There are many benefits to using Invisalign to fix an overbite, including:
- Discreet treatment: Unlike metal braces, Invisalign aligners are clear and virtually invisible, making them a discreet overbite treatment option for people who are self-conscious about their smile.
- Removable aligners: Invisalign aligners are removable, which means you can take them out for eating, drinking, and brushing. This makes it easier to maintain good oral hygiene during treatment.
- Comfortable and customizable: Invisalign aligners are custom-made to fit your teeth, which makes them comfortable to wear. The aligners are also changed every two weeks, which means your treatment plan is constantly being adjusted to fit your changing needs.
- No dietary restrictions: With Invisalign, there are no dietary restrictions, as you can simply remove the aligners to eat and drink.
- Effective treatment: Invisalign is an effective orthodontic treatment for overbites, and many people see results in just a few months.
Is Invisalign the right option for you?
If you're considering Invisalign to fix your overbite, it's important to speak with an orthodontist who has experience in Invisalign treatment. Your orthodontist at Bergen Orthodontics will be able to assess your specific needs and create a treatment plan that's tailored to you.